January 8, 2015
Today over 500 educators in the Toronto District School Board came together today to examine how iPads can be used throughout the Grade 1 Comprehensive Literacy program to:
- find texts to support young readers and
- make thinking and learning visible through the use of technology to develop metacognition and assess student learning
I had the privilege of teaching this group of teachers how to use the app Explain Everything. To start, I used the app to create a short video on the basics of working with the app.
Then, we tried out a variety of tasks that were designed to inspire and spark some ideas for working with Explain Everything in the classroom with Grade 1 students.
Here are the tasks we tried:
- Making Predictions using Explain Everything
- Generating Questions using Explain Everything
- Exploring Point of View using Explain Everything
- Metacognitive Thinking using Explain Everything
We had a great day of learning! Ready to try out those iPads in the Grade 1 classroom.